Monday 24 January 2011

It works! Well almost...

It's sort of natural to kick off a new blog with  - why? My why is probably fairly commonplace. We bought my son a train set when he was younger - too young probably. And one oval of track obviously (yes, obviously ) isn't enough. So I wondered if the old set I used to have was still in the loft? It was and that started me on a long road of discovery. You see my 40+ year old toy trains worked - almost. All sorts of complications awaited me - from track geometry to mending old motors. And I couldn't have done it without lots of help, often found on the interweb. And yet as I have gone along there are things I have found difficult to find out about, some things I have discovered (probably wasn't looking in the right place), and it just feels right to try and give something back - to see if my travels on a train set might help other dads (and mums - if you are out there...) (and grandads/grandmums/uncles/aunties/carers of all descriptions and Uncle Tom Cobley - although he favoured horses didn't he?).

My first set was by Playcraft. I then moved onto Tri-ang. I have a very nice French diesel loco from Jouef. And now my son has found modern Hornby. But I am getting ahead of myself. I have to tell you about our test layout with overhead supply using catenary - before its ousted from the dinner table to make way for a Burns night supper at the weekend. All I have to do first is see how I can get some pictures onto Blogger. Come back soon and see if I manage it!

No comments:

Post a Comment